Thursday, February 26, 2009

At 5 in the afternoon.....

It is no secret that I dig on a cold beer. So when I heard that my bro-in-law Mike, and his friend Johnny (JP) were meeting up at the Duchess in the U-District, I quickly agreed to meet up. Who doesn't like a cold beer on a late Wednesday afternoon? Plus, the Duchess and I have some history. I lived about 4 blocks away from this little Husky bar for over 4 years. My great friend and pharmacy school classmate Helen lived about a block away, so needless to say, we had a few "study" sessions at the Duchess (involving lots o' beer and chicken strips).

Mike and JP like to try out new foods, and stretch their stomachs to the point of near explosion. Luther burgers, poutine, beer can chicken, etc.... Just last weekend, Mike and JP enjoyed Dave's Famous Feast, which is a plethora of food served in, get this, a garbage can lid. Supposedly the lid full of food can feed 5 to 6 people, but Mike and JP managed to polish it off, with a little help from Chris. I'm still amazed at the photos posted on Mike's Facebook page.

Here is a shot of Mike and JP enjoying onion rings and burgers at the Duchess. I must admit, they were really great onion rings.
Yummmmmm....look at that cloudy Hefe.....Smooth.....Satisfying.....Delicious......
I had to get a shot of this sign posted on the outside of the men's restroom, pretty hilarious. The ladies room didn't have anything nearly as comical.
One of the strange things about the Duchess is they have dead animals everywhere. A couple moose, a few deer, an alligator head......
And they have live animals as well.....like this sweet dog that spent almost the entire time we were there relaxing at our table. I'm sure it had something to do with the burgers and chicken strips. She was adorable though, begging for food with her head rested on my thigh......
Next outting with Mike and Chris? The Ebb Tide for breakfast on Sunday morning. Who can resist a vodka cran at 8am on the Sabbath?

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

If it has fruit juice it's considered a breakfast drink.

Anonymous said...

Good times! Sorry I missed out on the Duchess. We'll see you tomorrow at the Ebb Tide. The Vodka Cran is like a glass of vodka with an eyedropper full of Cran.

They have a sweet jukebox too. Last week there was a really wasted guy there who kept playing Sheryl Crow and signing along. It is awesome!

Wear your best track suit!