Sunday, December 21, 2008

Venturing out......

After over 24 hours of confinement to the inside of my house, I decided to venture out this afternoon. I would guess that it has snowed about 6 or more inches in the last 24 hours. Let's just say I was getting a little bit of cabin fever. There are only so many episodes of MythBusters you can watch before the marathon ends and you are stuck flipping through the channels. I love the Discovery Channel, and am fully prepared to park my butt on the couch for the Dirty Jobs marathon that is starting tonight at 6pm. Mike Rowe is a dreamboat, as is Grant from MythBusters.

Check out the view from my porch. It doesn't really give you a good idea how much it has snowed, but it sure is pretty, everything covered in white.
Okay, so here is a shot where you can get an idea of the snow accumulation. The steps to the side door of the house. White, fluffly, loveliness.
I didn't realize that I was trapped inside my yard until I tried to open the gate. I had to dig my way out.
It was really fun to walk around the neighborhood and see a ton of people out and about, enjoying the calmness. Is it just me or do things seem a little quieter when there is a snow blanket on the ground? Maybe less traffic, maybe people stopping for a moment to look at the beauty of the snow. There were people sledding down the hills, building snowmen, skiing, cross-country skiing, snow-shoeing, walking.....I even saw one guy jogging. It was a really peaceful walk, and a great afternoon break.

My treat for the afternoon: a grande decaf mocha from Caffe Fiore. A mere 4 or so blocks from my house. Yummmmm. I really can't tell the difference between decaf and regular. It has been over 18 months since I kicked the caffeine habit for good, but I sure still enjoy the taste of coffee. You know what I don't miss? The wicked headaches I used to get if I didn't have two cups by 11am. I'll never go back to regular. That is probably sacreligious considering I live in the coffee capital of the world, but I don't care, those headaches were brutal.

Hope everyone that follows this blog is having a relaxing snow day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish i had somewhere to walk besides aurora ave.

Gina Lillie said...

We have been enjoying walks in the snow at night. Now, we are working on an igloo. Stay tuned.

S and J said...

You're right, everything is much quieter when the snow falls. I can't decide if it's because noone is driving or it muffles all of the noise that trevels. That's what I love about being on a snowy mountain...the sounds of silence.