Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Giggidy Giggidy Giggs......

Casey was in the Ballard neighborhood this morning and gave me a buzz. I do like the pop-in....it is unexpected, but always a pleasure. It is nice having a friend or two that also have some weekdays off to hang out. On the itinerary today......football (soccer) at The George & Dragon Pub in Fremont. According to their website, they are "Seattle's Only Authentic English Pub"...learn something new every day.

Little did I know when I woke up this morning at 10am, that I would be drinking a beer an hour later. Good morning Manny's Pale Ale, nice to see you. I barely finished my decaf espresso before starting in on this pint o' libation. Interestingly enough, the place was jumpin' at 11:30am. Two games were on the "telly"..... Manchester United v. Aalborg BK and Arsenal v. Porto. You know my penchant for soccer players.....check out Cristiano Ronaldo. One word: attractive. Casey and I were saying Giggidy Giggidy Giggs all morning for Ryan Giggs, midfielder for Manchester United. Apparently in the world of soccer, 35 years of age is old. He's been playing for MU since 1990, that seems like a LONG time. Both Ronaldo and Giggs weren't playing this game, unfortunately. Check out this dude, Wayne Rooney, he looks like Flea from the Chili Peppers.

One the menu? Shepherd's pie for me, and fish & chips for Casey. I'm not sure if you can see in the photo, but the shepherd's pie had a thick layer of melted cheese over top the mashed potatoes. I had to scrape that away. Not sure if that is shepherd's pie blasphemy, but that cheese shealth was wiggin' me out. Other than that.....delicious.



Casey drizzled his fish & chips with HP sauce, which I had never tasted before. It is like A1 sauce here in the states. On the menu, they had translations for some British terms, it was pretty funny. A couple examples (verbatim, from the menu):
bollocks = testicles
fanny = it's not your backside
I never knew that fanny didn't mean rear. Huh.
Something else I learned today? Even at 12pm on a Wednesday, a pint of beer goes down incredibly smoothly. And another thing? It's fun to say bangers & mash.

4 comments:

Kaijsa said...

Way back, a bunch of us did pub trivia there and it was mega hard. Those old dudes who hang there know their shit. We were much more suited for the action at Murphy's (RIP) and on occasion, the EMP. Don't remember G&D having the cheese sheath (that's too funny) on the shepherd's pie, but I do remember they had Blackthorn on tap and that's just amazing.

Gina Lillie said...

First off, beer is good at any hour. Period. Also my favorite brit term is Wanker. I just love hearing someone being called a Wanker. Makes me smile every time.

Anonymous said...

HP sauce and beers at 11am. The only way it could get better is with a nice game of footy. We need to do this again. Soon. Get your fanny down to the G&D! Anybody else want in?

S and J said...

Jarred uses the word Wanker almost every day. I love the adventures you have with food....I'm still grossed out by the burgers and donuts. I'm pretty open to eating a lot of stuff, but donuts and burgers?