Monday, June 16, 2008

The Observatory at Griffith Park

On Saturday, Chris and I went to the Griffith Observatory at Griffith Park in Los Angeles. Griffith Park is over 4,000 acres, and is apparently the largest municipal park in the United States. There are tons of hiking and biking trails, as well as picnic locations. We decided to check out the Griffith Observatory, then have a picnic lunch.
This is a shot of Chris with the Hollywood sign way back in the distance. It was the first time I have seen the sign since I moved here 2 months ago. It is quite a strenuous hike to get to the actual sign, so we declined since we were both wearing skirts and flip flops. It would definitely be fun to do at some point though!
The actual Observatory is pretty cool. Awesome architecture. Those two dome like structures on the right and left sides of the building have huge telescopes in them. As you can see, the one on the right was partially open.
This shot is looking south to Los Angeles.
There are these cool archways around the largest dome of the building.
Awesome mural right in the entrance of the Observatory. I think Griffith Park might be my new go-to place when visitors come to town! There is so much to do and see, I'm excited to bring John there. I'm sure he will be all over the bike trails.

1 comment:

Marcela said...

I found your blog in Google blog search! I really liked your pictures of the observatory. How is that one?? I've only really heard of McDonald Observatory which is great and is in Texas. I started learning about it recently because of school. I'm doing a project on them and observatories in general and my group and I actually need some feedback. If you wouldn't mind taking a quick 10-question survey, we would really appreciate it. All questions are optional by the way. Anyway, if you take it, thanks a lot! :) And I hope you had a great time at the observatory!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=1CdNkE0Bib07HA9TjRGIjg_3d_3d