Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My own.....personal.....Hallmark.....

You have to say the title to the tune of Personal Jesus by Depeche Mode. Actually, you can say it however you'd like, but just know that is the song that was going through my head when I wrote it. Note to self: crack out Violator. Alrighty then.

Last weekend my sis and I decided to meet up at the Fremont Sunday market for some good times and boutique shopping. The weather was really cold and dreary, so the market wasn't thriving like it does during the spring and summer months, kind of a bummer. We ended up spending about 5 minutes looking at the market stuff, then took off for all the little shops in Fremont. We hit up Burnt Sugar, which I love love love. They always have cool, unique jewelry, and fun greeting cards. I picked up these two to add to my tupperware o' greeting cards. Little did you know that I have a stash of about 50 cards, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to mail out. I've got birthday cards for friends and family, just for fun cards, get well soon cards, wedding cards, pretty much anything you can think of.

A couple of my faves:
1. "Much like yourself, Christine enjoyed drama and was a queen. Happy Birthday"....front of card is vintage photo of a Danish pagaent winner
2. "Happy birthday you miserable, cranky, S.O.B.".....that is all the card says, which I find simple and to the point
3. "You are a f*&king lunatic".....just for fun card with a pair of WWII fighter pilot goggles on the front
4. "Wrong hole Magellan, try again".....just for fun card that I bought in San Francisco

And now I have these two fun guys:

"You Rock!" card. It actually isn't so much of a card as it is a certificate of awesomeness. It is like an oversized index card that reflects your achievement of kick ass-ness. Below the "You Rock!" it reads "this hereby certifies that *insert name here* is appreciated by *insert name here* on the date of *insert date here*. I like this idea. Just a little note to let someone know that they are the bees knees. Maybe one of you friendlies will get this bad boy in the mail at some point. But now that the surprise is spoiled, I might just have to keep it as an investment piece.
This second card just really hit home for me....it says...."The world is full of people who will go their whole lives and not actually live one day. She did not intend on being one of them." Why did I like it so much? Well, for a couple reasons, one being that this past year has been really rough for me personally, and as a result I've learned quite a bit about myself. The bottom line being that I have only one life, and I have to live it for myself. I don't want to look back with any major regrets.
So I think that card is going to stay with me, and keep me company for awhile. Until I see someone else that might need some encouragement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i like that last card... a nice little reminder on how we should live our lives. btw- can't wait to see the hot pink glasses.

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

I love the idea of your own personal Hallmark! I also like to go to card sections with friends and pick out cards and tell them 'if it was your birthday I'd get you this card' and then just read them there in the store.

Gina Lillie said...

It's nice to know you are keeping the Greeting Card Industry alive. With all the e-cards and such, it's a nice treat to get a real card in the mail.