Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Guys don't make passes at girls that wear glasses?

Is that how the old saying goes? Well, I beg to differ. I love glasses. I've worn glasses since I was in 8th grade. I remember being in some faceless teacher's earth science class at MJHS and realizing I couldn't see sh*t on the blackboard. That was a pivotal moment in my fashion history. At first I hated wearing glasses, they just made me look more nerdy than I already was. Initially, I only had to wear them to see the blackboard, so it wasn't a big deal if I had to look like a jackass every now and again. But as time has passed, my vision has become worse for wear, and I've had to wear my glasses constantly for the past 10 years. My glasses are a part of who I am, they are like another appendage, without them I couldn't function properly in society, and if I lived in the deserts of Africa I would surely be mauled by a tiger without them. Since I have to wear them every moment I am awake, I figure I should love them.

After I finished graduate school and was no longer a poor college student, I splurged on my first two pairs of glasses that I had ever paid for without my parent's help. It was an exciting time in my glasses wearing history. I picked out two frames without even looking at the price tags. And I loved those frames for an entire year. I'm not sure if you can see the frames that well in the above photo (taken by the Foils at Alcatraz), but they are black with white speckles and rhinestones in the corners. Sort of like funky old school librarian glasses. My other frames are the ones in the picture below, I called them my Sally Jessie frames because they are mostly red with graduating shades of pink on the insides. Oh, how I love these two sets of frames. It was nice having two sets so you could switch it up everyday depending on your mood or outfit.
Then my sister and I decided to take a trip to New York City. About a week before the trip I realized that my vision had changed, yet again, and that I should probably get new spectacles so I could actually see all the cool stuff in NYC, as well as the Broadway show we were going to see. Since I had waited til the last minute to get my eyes checked I didn't have time to send my glasses away to have the lenses changed, so I had to get new frames at Lens Crafters. They can get you new glasses in an hour, ya know!! So I purchased the frames below. Turquoise with a lighter green color on the insides. They have served me well the last two years and I actually get compliments on them on a regular basis. A lot of times at work I'll get the following...."Can I talk to the lady with the funky glasses?" To some people that might seem like an insult, but to me it is a compliment. It means that I stand out and am memorable......I'll just keep telling myself that:)
Today I went to have an eye exam because I've been feeling like my vision has changed a bit over the last two years. I've been seeing floating spots over the past few years when it is really really bright outside or super cloudy (which is pretty much standard issue here in Seattle). Luckily my exam came out aces, and the doctor said my eyes are in great shape. I had some sort of high tech retinal imaging scan done, it was pretty cool. He said the floating spots occur as we age, something about the eye stretching. I kind of quit listening once I found out I wasn't going blind. After my eye exam was finished I picked out a new pair of glasses. I'll post a picture in a few weeks once I get them. They are hot pick and uber cool. I am also having my new prescription put in my old librarian and Sally Jessie frames. For those days when I'm not feeling like Punky Brewster in my new hot pink frames.
Guys should definitely make passes at girls wearing hot pink glasses!!

4 comments:

Kaijsa said...

Can't wait to see you in your new specs. Smart guys will make passes at YOU, because you're amazing.

p.s. You're inspiring me to at least go have new lenses put in my glasses. I wear contacts most days.

Anonymous said...

Glasses are the new brass nuckles.

Anonymous said...

ps nuckles has a "K" in it.

S and J said...

You inspire me to write stories about the little things in life we often take for granted.