Wednesday, May 13, 2009

How did I miss this??

Seriously folks, how did I miss this? Bea Arthur is dead, and no one bothered to tell me. I just figured this one out a few days ago as I was perusing the internet. I stumbled across an "In Memoriam" link and saw a picture of Bea. Rest in peace lady.
I remember watching numerous episodes of Golden Girls as a child. It was sandwiched in between Empty Nest and Sledgehammer on the Saturday night line up. Bea played the tightly wound Dorothy Zbornak, daughter to Estelle Getty's quirky Sophia Petrillo. She wasn't my favorite character on the show, she was always sort of a Debbie Downer, ya know? My favorite Golden Girl was probably Blanche Devereaux.....she's a slut, bung! (Name that movie....)
A couple years ago I went down to Las Vegas with a group of girlfriends for Kim and Corey's joint bachelorette party. Little did I know that I had a vicious case of mononucleosis at the time. A few days before the trip I noticed that my glands were swollen on one side of my neck. I thought it had to do with some dental work I had done that week, so I ignored it and continued with my plans of getting debaucherous in Sin City. On the plane ride from Seattle to Las Vegas, Kim was sitting a row or two behind me and decided it would be funny to rip the above picture of Bea Arthur out of the magazine she was reading (what was she reading anyway? Geriatric Monthly?), and send it up to me with a little "Hi Jess" note on it. It obviously made me laugh considering I saved the dang cutout and presently, two years later, continue to display it on my cork board at home. The entire Vegas trip we referred to my swollen neck gland as "Bea"...... Good stuff.
Cheers to Bea Arthur and girlfriends.......
Thank you for being a friend
Traveled down the road and back again
Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
Thank you for being a friend
That was for you Kim, you can thank me later.

3 comments:

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

I wonder if Kristy or Brian will blog stalk over here to see this post. They are HUGE Golden Girl cans esp of Bea. Once in college Kristy mentioned to Brian that she was bidding on a signed pic of Bea and Brian got on eBay and started out bidding her without her knowing it was him. It was a bidding war up until the end when Brian won the overpriced (any price is too much) pic of Bea in a cheap gold frame.

C money said...

So much for ever sucking Bea Arthur's D*ck. Scratch that off the ol bucket list.

Gina Lillie said...

Question: I remember Empty Nest, but what the hell was "Sledgehammer"?. Kristy and Brian were the first people I thought of when I heard of Bea's death. I'm sure they are in mourning.