Sunday, March 6, 2011

Wrapping up One Little Word for February....

As you know from previous posts, I decided to take an online workshop through Big Picture Classes -- specifically One Little Word by Ali Edwards.  My word for 2011 is HEAL.  For February, Ali asked us to see our world through the lens of our camera -- to look for our word in the world and capture it.  Either by literal representations of our word, or figurative representations.  We were to choose at least nine images to use in our album.  Here are my nine images:


Top row:
1. Frank's medication: as some of you may know, I have to give Frank prednisone, twice a day, every day.  As you can imagine, giving a cat a pill twice a day is a challenge.  A month or so ago, I had reached my wits end.  I found myself on the phone with my vet, crying.... Frank had figured out all my usual tricks of hiding pills in food.  If Frank and I were going to emotionally and physically survive his illness, we needed to try a new method.  Luckily there are pharmacists out there in the world that compound medications specifically for animals.  I breathed an enormous sigh of relief when I picked up Frank's prescription for transdermal prednisone.  It is fricking glorious.  I rub a pea sized amount into his ear twice a day.  He gets his medications AND some lovin' from yours truly.  It is healing for both he, and I. 
2. Frank soaking up some sunshine by the front door.  The sight of this small little pleasure for him brought me great joy, and some of my favorite photos of him so far this year.  It's the little things in life that make me happy. 
3. Stack o' music.  I have music on in the house almost constantly -- it is definitely soothing.  Plus, there are so many songs that I have listened to during rough patches in my life, that I remember fondly for getting my through those sad or frustrating times.  For example, I'll always remember Florence & the Machine's album Lungs for being on repeat after Milo died.  Song that I find to be healing?  Between Two Lungs.  Look it up, it might just make you feel better.

Middle row:
1. Milo and I.  Moments before he passed away.  No, this photo wasn't taken in February.  And you may be wondering why I included a photo of a really sad experience in my life.  Actually, looking at this photo brings me a lot of peace.  Peace knowing that I was with him til the end.  Peace knowing that he wasn't struggling in the end.  He just quietly passed away with me by his side.  And it is these thoughts and emotions that help me heal. 
2. Stack o' books.  Books for learning and growth.  The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown.  Inner Excavation: Explore Your Self Through Photography, Poetry and Mixed Media by Liz Lamoreux.  Expressive Photography: The Shutter Sisters' Guide to Shooting from the Heart.
3. My savior -- Armour thyroid.  Yeah, you've already heard me sing it's praises.  But let me just say it a few more times for the record!!!  :)  I have felt like a different person since I started taking it in late November.  This drug has seriously helped me in the healing department. 

Bottom row:
1. Healing Our World magazine.  Quite the literal photograph of the word Heal.  Arrived in the mail one day. 
2. Letter to my dear sweet Milo.  I wrote a letter to Milo after he died.  I thought it was good to get all my emotions on paper.  A healing exercise I guess.  As the years go by I think I'll forget the little things I loved about Milo.  It will be cool to read the letter down the road and be able to recall all those cute things he used to do, those things that made me fall in love with him over and over and over again. 
3. Milo's collar and leash.  As time goes by, I'll look at his collar and leash less and less.  Maybe someday I'll put them in the wooden box with his ashes.  But I never want to forget them.  So I'll keep them in my memory through this photograph.

Ali added an additional prompt for the month of February -- enlarging a photo that stands out to you.  In the January prompt, I had to write down words that I wanted to invite in to my life for 2011, one of the words that I invited in to my life is PEACE.  I chose this photo for my photo enlargement because it seems peaceful:


It was taken one cold sunny day when Kim, Casey, and I were down at Golden Gardens.  Kim was showing me different techniques to use to take better photos, and this is one of the photos I took that day.

So far I'm having a blast with my One Little Word project for 2011.  Ali's prompt for March is all about taking action.  I'm already starting to work on it -- I'll fill you in on the details later in the month!   

No comments: