Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Green Thumbin' It

Or at least trying to..... Admittedly, I know next to nothing about keeping living things alive other than cats and dogs. I've managed to kill many a houseplant over the years. I aspire to be like my friend Kim who has a nack for maintaining a house full of greenery. So far, I've been able to keep two houseplants from dying.
Last week my parents were in town for a few days. In an effort to show them that Seattle isn't full of dirtbags and criminals, we went to Swanson's Nursery one afternoon. I thought my mom was going to bust an O-ring, she was so super excited about Swanson's. We both ended up buying a few plants each. Since she is the almighty green thumb, and knows pretty much everything about plants, she helped me plant my new lavender. I bought three new lavender plants to add to the two that were already established in the yard, thanks to Kim. Let's hope I can keep them alive through the summer!
Check out my Topsy Turvy tomato plant!!! I have seen these everywhere the past few years, and decided this was going to be the contraption that was going to help me dive into the world of growing my own food. So far it is looking pretty good, except for a few leaves that have wilted. I'm not sure when I'm supposed to actually start seeing tomatoes.....anyone? August? September?
Another plant courtesy of me madre. Also still alive. Although I thought I had killed it because one of the flowers wilted, but my mom told me to cut it off and new flowers would bloom. Smarty pants.

Here are a few living things I have managed to keep alive and well. Basset hound named Milo. Currently weighing in at somewhere around 65 pounds. Possibly killing him with the amount of treats I give him.
And one mostly black floofy cat named Frank. He's shrinking year after year as he ages, but I think that is an old cat thing. I'd say he's weighing in at about 7 pounds these days. He's wee.
And a couple other guys I've kept alive the past few weeks? Grandpa and the Easter Bunny. I'll make introductions and show photos later. I'm cat sitting two monsters for the summer. They each weigh about double what Frank weighs, so they are staying in the upstairs bedroom with the door shut. Frank knows they are there but doesn't seem too concerned about it thus far.

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Toms need LOTS of sun. So if today's weather sticks around you will be in luck. If we go back to rain-fest, you might want to visit your local Safeway for some produce.

kim hayes said...

my thumb is not that green, it's all an illusion. ;0 i just buy a lot of plants and start over.

btw- grandpa and easter bunny? those names are seriously funny!