Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Introducing......Milo!!!

As many of you know, I am a total animal person. Since moving in to a place where I can have a dog, I've been obsessively looking at petfinder.com. I've wanted to adopt my own dog for years, but have never lived in a place where anything larger than a cat was allowed. Growing up, one of the dogs we had was a basset hound, Rocket, she was such a friendly and sweet dog. I stumbled across some basset hounds on petfinder and fell in love with the breed all over again.

This past Sunday, Kim and I went to the Basset Rescue of Puget Sound's annual Howl-O-Ween party, it was a blast! People from all over the Northwest bring their bassets, some in costume, to cruise around and hang out with other bassets. Watching about 40+ bassets run around together was one of the cutest things I have seen in awhile. In all the chaos appeared a sweet gentleman named Milo, walking around slowing, dragging his little blue leash behind him. I immediately fell in love with this little man. After spending an hour and a half hanging out with him, petting him, and taking him for a walk, I knew that I wanted to give Milo a loving home to live out the rest of his life.

So here he is.....introducing.......Milo!!!
Milo is an older guy, probably 8 or 9. He's pretty slow moving, but manages to muster up a spring in his step when we go for walks. He has been sleeping quite a bit, he has adopted the couch as his main sleeping area. I've covered the entire couch with blankets in an attempt to maintain it's decency for at least a little while:) But how could you deny such a cute face!! See below........
Note the blanket covered couch and sleeping dog. Despite his age, he is manuevering up and down the stairs pretty well. He takes them pretty slow, probably because the first time he attempted to go down them he basically slid down the stairs. Ever since that maiden stair voyage he's been fine though:)
I'm trying to figure out a good Best In Show phrase to slide in to this post somewhere. Probably something by Catherine O'Hara's character, Cookie Googleman. It'll come to me, maybe my next Milo post.
Look at that paw! Don't you just want to squeeze it?!? He's such a dear little guy.
So far he and Frank have been tolerating eachother, no scuffles to speak of:) Frank has definitely asserted his dominance as the alpha male, but seems to have adjusted to having Milo around. Luckily Milo is way mellow and low key, if he was high energy and was in Frank's face all the time, Frank probably would have gotten in a good swipe or two. I don't think they'll be cleaning eachother's ears any time soon, but I'll keep you posted!

8 comments:

Heather said...

Congratulations! Milo is such a handsome little guy and seems like a perfect addition. I love that he's already claimed the couch and is getting along with The Frizz. It was so fun to meet him yesterday. I think he and Blue will be good buds.

Kaijsa said...

Hey! Congrats on being a dog mom! He's great!

Ranee said...

Milo is adorable, Jess! He has definitely found a good home. I'm looking forward to meeting him sometime soon.

Michelle Gubser

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Welcome Milo... let the scrapping begin!!! Congrats to both of you, and Frank too of course.

Gina Lillie said...

I love those big floppy ears. What a cutie. Can't wait to meet this sweet guy!

casey said...

Milo. Awesome. Cant wait to see his halloween costume.

jess said...

Thanks for all the well wishes! He has been so awesome this week, I feel like I lucked out with this guy. He's a total sweetheart, follows me around the house. I left him alone for 6 hours today and not a knick knack out of place when I came home. I'm sure he slept on the couch for 5&1/2 of those 6 hours though:)

S and J said...

You rock. I love when people adopt older dogs and I love dogs and I love dog photos and I love dog ears, paws, hair, eyes...I love dogs more than babies.