Wednesday, August 3, 2011

One Little Word -- July

The July prompt for the One Little Word workshop has been the most 'me' prompt so far -- music!  More specifically -- a soundtrack for my word.  This month I created a personal playlist for my word.  Seeing as how I have music playing at all times while I'm at home or in my car, this prompt was a breeze for me, and super fun. 

I remember in my AP English class in highschool we were given the opportunity to either write an essay or create something for our final class project.  I created a mix tape, or soundtrack I guess, for a novel we had just read in class.  I remember thinking all the people that chose to write an 8 page essay were out of their fucking minds.  I have never liked writing essays, period.  So given the opportunity to make a mix tape as a final project vs. writing an essay about some famous important novel that I can't even remember, the choice was an easy one for me. Mix tape!!

So what I'm saying is I had a great time tackling making a playlist for my word -- heal.  The songs I selected don't literally include my word -- to me it was more about creating the playlist with songs that are important to me now, or have been important to me through my life, and songs that make me connect to my word.  After creating our soundtrack to our word, we pulled lines or quotes from each song to put on 9 canvases.

Here are my canvases:


Although I have only 9 canvases, my soundtrack has 13 songs:

1. My Sweet Lord: George Harrison
2. Given To Fly: Pearl Jam
3. Between Two Lungs: Florence & The Machine
4. Well All Right: Kid Rock
5. Fall On Me: R.E.M.
6. Get Better: Mates Of State
7. Up Up Up: Givers
8. Young Blood: The Naked and Famous
9. Fans: Kings of Leon
10. Someone Like You: Adele
11. Baby, What a Big Surprise: Chicago
12. Helena Beat: Foster the People
13. Crying, Waiting, Hoping: Karen Elson

Then I created a cover sheet for the project and burned my playlist onto a disc to include in my One Little Word notebook. 


On Twitter if I send out a tweet of something I'm listening to right then, I'll include the hashtag #nowplaying, so I put that as my cover sheet.  I put my CD in a sleeve I purchased in a DIY CD packaging kit made by Chronicle Books. 

Here are the lyrics I chose to include on my canvases:

Given To Fly: Pearl Jam
And he still gives his love, he just gives it away. The love he receives is the love that is saved. And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky. A human being that was given to FLY.

Between To Lungs: Florence & The Machine
I have this breath and I hold it tight.  And I keep it in my chest with all my might.  I pray to GOD this BREATH will last.  As it pushes past my lips as I gasp, gasp.

Well All Right: Buddy Holly via Kid Rock
We'll LIVE and LOVE with all our might

Fall On Me: R.E.M.
Buy the sky and sell the sky. And lift your arms up to the sky. And ask the sky, and ask the sky.  Fall On Me.

Get Better: Mates Of State
Everything's gonna get LIGHTER, even if it never gets BETTER

Up Up Up: Givers
Yeah we up up up above love. Yeah we up UP up through the clouds. Yeah we up.

Young Blood: The Naked and Famous
The bittersweet between my teeth.  Trying to find the in-betweens. Fall back in LOVE eventually.

Someone Like You: Adele
Sometimes it lasts in LOVE but sometimes it HURTS instead.

Fans: Kings of Leon
You know the RAINY days they ain't so bad when you're the KING.

Looking forward to what is in store for August!!

1 comment:

Gina Lillie said...

I can't get enough of that Adele song lately. I am also loving your posts. Can't wait for the August edition.