Sunday, July 31, 2011

One Little Word -- April

I think this week I'm going to do a series of blog posts catching you all up on what I've been working on the past few months with my One Little Word workshop at Big Picture Classes.  I've been having a lot of fun working on the project!!  I'm pretty sure I've already covered the first few months in previous posts, so I'll start with April.

April's prompt was called "Note to Self."  I had to write a letter to myself -- taking stock of where I am right now (or back in April), envisioning where I want to be, setting intentions, and writing it all out.  Also had to take a self portrait and make a cover sheet.  One of the cool things about the class is the instructor, Ali Edwards, creates templates for us to use.  We just have to fill in the information, either hand-written or typed, and pick out our own paper to use.   

Here is my cover sheet and self portrait for April:


Most of the patterned paper I've been using for this OLW workshop has been from a monthly scrapbooking kit I purchased from Freehand Scraps over a year ago.  Lots of colorful paper -- I've been using a lot of lime greens, bright pinks, and turquoise on this project.  I chose to keep my self portrait a little funky, using a picture I had taken with my iPhone one day when I was playing around with some glasses from my Tickle Trunk.  Tangent -- "Tickle Trunk?  WTF is that??" -- is probably what you're thinking.  I got the term from my bro-in-law, Mike, who is originally from Canada.  Apparently in Canada there was a kids show where there was a trunk full of props and costumes called "The Tickle Trunk" -- anyway, despite the creepy name for it, I have my own Tickle Trunk full of costumes, hats, and strange glasses.  You never know when you're going to need a Wookie costume, am I right?  I have a Wookie costume, BTW, so if you need to borrow it, just let me know!  Soooo, where was I..... yes, my photo.  I'm wearing some glasses from my Tickle Trunk. 

And my letter to myself:


I'll write it out because only like 4 people actually read this blog and I'd show you this letter in person if you asked, so why not write it out here.......right? Right.

Dear Jess,

Right now you are: Content. Emotionally you are feeling fantastic! Armour thyroid has truly changed your life. You are loving your new home and how happy you are creating this long term space for yourself. You are working on processing Aunt Judy's death - time and reflection will help you heal. You still think of Milo often, sometimes there are still tears. But you are looking forward to opening up your heart and home to another dog. Frank is doing as well as can be expected - you have accepted the fact that he will not be here forever and you must enjoy every moment you have with him.

One year from now I hope you'll be: Emotionally solid. Content with where you are in your personal and professional life. Drinking lots of water and sweating on a regular basis. Taking care of you. Opening up your heart to the possibility of falling in love. Loving Frank or loving your memories of Frank. Creating new memories with a new dog (or dogs!!). Laughing!! Connecting with friends and family. Continuing to be strong. Continuing to heal.

Love, Jess   

1 comment:

Gina Lillie said...

I love the note to yourself. Glad to see some of the goals came true. SPUZ!