Thursday, July 7, 2011

I *love* my SMASH book!!

I've been a crazy, lazy blogger as of late, and I apologize.  I don't really have any excuses, and I actually have stuff to blog about!!  I'll try to be better, pinky swear. 

Sooooo, a few posts ago I showed a video of K & Company's awesome SMASH book.  Well, they started shipping them out at the end of May.  This book and accompanying embellishments were made for me.  I have collected so much ephemera over the years, and where am I going to put it all?  Where am I going to put that newspaper clipping of a teenager break dancing for the Pope?  Where am I going to put that picture of Bea Arthur that Kim ripped out of that magazine on our plane ride to Las Vegas when I had mononucleosis in 2007?  In my SMASH book, that is where!!  I've been slowly putting years worth of pack rat papers into my first book, and it has been super fun.  Yesterday I actually worked on putting some more recent stuff in there.  Here are a few of my SMASH book pages:


One of my recent favorite pictures of Spuzz.  He's such a fluffy little guy, or at least he was up until yesterday when he got his second haircut.  I call him my little teddy bear, because when he's all puffy and floofy, his face looks like that of a bear, like a cartoon bear, not like a grizzly bear.  He's just so adorable.  That picture was taken of Spuzz right after I brought him home from the groomers.  A few months ago I bought an Epson Stylus Photo 1400 printer.  It prints photos up to 12in x 12in.  Not that I am in to digital scrapbooking, but I like the idea of being able to print out photos last minute for my scrappy scrap scrappin' projects.  Anyway, I took that photo of Spuzz with my iPhone -- ShakeIt app, of course -- and printed it out.  So fast and easy to have a photo printer at home, love it!


Some of you know my obsession with Kid Robots, some of you may not.  Anyway, long story short, I buy a lot of weird shit.  I saw Kid Robots for the first, and really only, time at Sonic Boom in Ballard.  I'm a fan of The Simpson's and Family Guy, so I was of course drawn to these little figurines.  Or I guess they are referred to as Art Toys.  Whatever.  Anyway, I bought a couple only to realize that you can't buy a specific character, meaning you buy an unidentified box and it is a surprise what character you get.  It's like Russian roulet but with cartoon characters and no one dies.  Not surprisingly, I didn't get the characters I wanted, so it became an obsession for me.  Every week or so over the past few months I'd go in to Sonic Boom and buy a couple Kid Robots.  The characters I *really* wanted?  Groundskeeper Willy, Millhouse, and Otto.  Well, I ended up getting Groundskeeper Willy fairly quickly.  And now that I've been playing this Kid Robot game for a few months, I actually have four, yes four, Groundskeeper Willys.  I have a Willy Army.  I don't even want to know how much money I have sunk into this venture.  I could probably add it up, but how much fun would that be?  It would just make me feel bad about myself, and I have no problem doing that on my own without bringing my "art toy" obsession in to the mix.  Yesterday I had a "feeling", it was like the gods of ridiculous crap were shining down on me and I felt their love surge in my general direction.  So I marched on down to Sonic Boom and bought 6 Simpsons Kid Robots.  Want to know a secret?  I cleaned them out.  Literally.  I bought every last Simpsons Kid Robot.  And what did I get?  Millhouse and Otto!!  YES!!!  My mission is completed and now I can focus my money on other ventures, like books, CDs, dog toys, and maybe retirement.  Oh, and SMASH book products!


Did I tell you I bought a super sweet polaroid camera?  A couple bloggers I follow have a fun little camera by Fujifilm called the Instax Mini.  It takes polaroid photos the size of a credit card.  How fun is that to tote around for instant SMASH book photos?  Well, I bought it a few weeks ago and have been having fun with it around the house and yard.  It takes MUCH better photos in natural daylight.  The photos inside the house have been mediocre at best, but hey, it is a "fun" camera, so I'm not expecting Annie Leibovitz results here.  I have another "fun" camera, a fish eye camera, that I should start using again.  It is an actual film camera.  So vintage!  Anyhoo, the above SMASH book page is capturing some pictures from around the yard. 

Anyone else out there SMASHing away?             

1 comment:

Gina Lillie said...

I loved looking at your Smash Book the other day. That thing was made for you. I think I will donate the sicker you got me circa 1994-ish
"Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous".