Sunday, May 22, 2011

there's a new kid in town.......

.......and his name is Spuz (pronounced like "buzz").  Short for Spurzheim.  If you're wondering, it is a family name.


But considering his likeness to an Ewok, I probably should have named him Wickett.  He is a big floofball!!  He's about 7 months old, and he's a Shih Tzu.  And he is mellow like jell-ell-o.  I swear I didn't hear a peep out of him for the first 24 hours I had him.  So how did I come about acquiring Spuz?  Well, it has been 7 months since my sweet Milo passed away.  I knew I wanted to give myself time to heal -- I fell for Milo hard and fast, and admittedly his death really threw me into a wee bit of a tail-spin for awhile.  Nothing like the combination of months of shitty NW weather and losing your best canine friend to send you searching for the warm embrace of your feather bed.  I loved having a dog, and I knew that I wanted to get another dog sometime in 2011.  One of my requirements for the new dog was grass growing in the backyard.  The winter saw my backyard as more of a mudpit than a place for a dog to hang out and catch some rays.  Or just catch some daylight for that matter.  So when I saw this......


....I decided it was time to start looking for another friend.  My mom has been looking at the classified ads online for months now, searching for dogs.  And recently Gina logged some hours looking at possible candidates on Petfinder.  A few days ago I found Spuz......within 30 minutes of meeting him we were jammin' to some tunes in my car, driving to the pet store to get him some supplies -- bed, treats, food, the essentials basically.  He's been adjusting well to life in Ballard.  He has been *really* cautious around Frank, which has been awesome.  Frank doesn't do well with any form of aggression, or chasing, so Spuz's calm demeanor has definitely helped in Frank's adjustment to having another animal in the house.

 
We are working on getting him house trained, which I didn't have to do with Milo, so that has been an ongoing learning experience on my part.  Luckily, Spuz is so small, when he has an accident in the house it is a small clean up.  When Milo had an accident in the house it was like a hazmat situation.  Granted, I'd clean up Milo's enormous shits a thousand times over to have him back, but that isn't going to happen, so I'll focus on the positives of a small dog's #1's and #2's.  So far Spuz doesn't know what a leash is, or how one operates.  He likes to stop and sit while on leash.  He's more of a wanderer I guess, a free-spirit.  We'll definitely be working on his leash skill set.  I think I'll enroll us in a training class to pick up some tips.  He has been absolutely wonderful so far, and I'm really excited for us to get more and more comfortable with eachother.

In other news, I have this coming week off.  It's birthday week folks!!  Yep, I'm turning 34.  I have the week off to relax and spend time with friends, family, and my animals.  And I'm soooo looking forward to it!!  Look out for some more blogposts.....I hope!!!         

2 comments:

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Adorable. Stay firm on the potty training... I've had more than one friend with a small pet who they said 'it's not a lot when they have an accident inside' but over time that stuff builds up so keep up the fight! I'll tell you some stories next scrap night...

jess said...

I agree Colleen -- I'm standing firm on getting this little guy used to doing his business outside only. I've learned in just the few short days that I've had him that he goes #2 after he eats. So we've been working with that information with success so far. Also, I'm taking him outside every couple hours regardless of if he's ate or drank anything.