Thursday, May 26, 2011

Shabby Chic Couch Makeover

I purchased my couch in the fall of 2008.  And less than 3 years later it looks terrible.  The fabric pills, the pillows that form the back of the couch are scrunched and malformed..... I kinda can't stand the couch actually.  But, replacing it isn't top on my priority list of things I'd like to spend money on at the moment.  Here's what my couch looks like:

 
Pretty gross, huh?  While my mom was here visiting this week, she came up with a great idea to make the couch look freshened up, without spending a ton of money.  The inexpensive fix?  Pillows.  Big colorful pillows.  We threw out the three large back pillows that came with the couch, and switched them out with some fun, bright, shabby chic pillows from World Market.  And I love the difference!!


Pretty cute, huh?  I love the way they look, and the pillows will give the couch new life for another year or so until I want to throw down the cash on another couch.  A couple other DIY changes that I'm working on over the next few weeks / months: switching my boring dresser knobs out for some cool, mismatched, vintage looking knobs, and painting an old wooden IKEA bookshelf a bright, vibrant aqua!!  I'm looking forward to working on these inexpensive projects.  Of course I'll post photos as they come together!

Any DIY projects you're excited about that you'd like to share?   

4 comments:

Alicia said...

The most DIY home repairs I have accomplished are painting a few walls and hanging drapes...

Kym said...

Great new pillows. Love them!

kim hayes said...

couch looks cute!! are you painting your brown ikea shelf in your dining room? we have the same bookshelves- and i've been thinking about painting them a teal too! or white... but i like the idea of a bright color...

Jill said...

Love this, I need to do this to my couch, it looks just like yours used to!