Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Milo's Big Day Out: Dog Park!

As I write this, chillin' out listening to Kenny Loggins, Milo is laying at my feet, crashed out like I've never seen him before. Snoring? Oh yes, he's sawing logs. He's beat from a long afternoon of exploring two key Ballard locations for dogs. The first of which, featured in this post, is the dog park. You know the one, down by Golden Gardens. I always used to drive by that dog park, envious of all the dog owners with their dogs, running around having a great time.
This afternoon the sun peeked out of the Seattle skies, some of my favorite Seattle winter weather. Cold, but sunny. I decided to take advantage, and head out with my canine companion, Mr. Milo (haven't figured out a last name for this guy yet, sure he automatically gets my last name when visiting the vet, but for his non-vet life, he needs a fun last name. Frank "Fingers" Mahoney sure enjoys his name.....ok, tangent....). So Milo and I hopped in the wagon and made our way down the hill towards the beach. When we got there Milo's nose immediately hit the ground, sniffing all the wonderful dog smells. This photo is pretty much how he looked the entire time at the park.
Inside the park, there were about 10 or 12 dogs, some laying around, some rough playing. A couple ran at full speed past Milo and he nearly got knocked over. He's such an elderly little gent. It was like watching a pack of teenagers running around an old man with a walker. He enjoyed it though. He definitely did not partake in any horseplay, more like stood on the sidelines....sniffing.....
We walked slowly along the fence of the park, sniffing, for about 40 minutes. He would get all excited when new dogs and owners would enter the park. He decided to hang out by the entrance for awhile, like an elderly greeter at Wal-Mart. He was such a good boy, not even one growl or bark the entire time we were there. Just a lot of sniffing and drooling with excitement (or anxiety, not sure which:) )
I'd say the dog park was a total success. We'll definitely be going again when the sun starts to peek out on a more regular basis. I can't wait for spring! Milo's gonna be cruisin' the dog park, looking for a short stubby Betty White to call his own.
Lesson I learned at the dog park:
-Do not wear jeans that touch the ground because guess what? You're basically walking around in one giant pile of dog poo. Same goes of shoe choice. Noted.

1 comment:

Gina Lillie said...

I love the 2nd to the last shot. He totally has a smile on his face. Atticus and I will have to join in on your beach fun this spring.