Sunday, November 8, 2009

New Music

Lord, I have one exact GRIP of music I'm trying to get through listening to. Over the past month or so I have acquired quite the ass load of new music. My most recent trip to Sonic Boom birthed the following:

Jay-Z: The Blueprint 3. Awesome album. I've never actually purchased a Jay-Z album, although I like his music. The Blueprint 3 has been on car ride repeat the last few days. Favorite tracks so far? Run This Town, Empire State Of Mind, On To The Next One, Off That, and Young Forever. He samples Alphaville in Young Forever, good stuff.
Tegan & Sara: Sainthood. I've loved these ladies ever since I heard their album "So Jealous" from 2007. Since that point I have invested in their entire catalogue with no regrets. I have yet to dive in to this album, but just from listening to the first few tracks, I have no doubt it is going to be a favorite.
Have you checked out U.S.E? I fell in love with them when I saw them live in 2004 or 2005, then their self-titled album came out in 2005 and it was game over from then on. Their live show rocks, it is like going to a party where EVERYONE is excited to be there. High energy, lots of dancing, awesome. I'm totally looking forward to checking this new one out, although I was sorta disappointed because the first track on the album is kind of a slower one, I was hoping for energy right out of the gate!! I'm maintaining a positive attitude about Loveworld though, despite the fact that their debut album is going to be hard to beat.
Devendra Banhart: What Will We Be. I first fell in love with Devendra Banhart after I heard his song "At The Hop" in a commercial for Fat Tire beer a number of years ago. He is one performer that I can not wait to see live. I've had "What Will We Be" on repeat in the house all day today, and so far? Loving it. Definitely slow and folky, so if you're not in to that kind of sound, Devendra isn't for you.
Some other albums I've bought in the last month or two:
Volcano Choir: Unmap
Phoenix: Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
Built to Spill: There Is No Enemy
Run Rabbit Run: Osso performs Sufjan Stevens
Explosions in the Sky: All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
Lou Barlow: Goodnight Unknown
Where The Wild Things Are: Soundtrack

Albums I'm borrowing from Casey & Kim:
Vampire Weekend: Self-Titled
Fruit Bats: The Ruminant Band
The Pica Beats: Beating Back The Claws of the Cold
The Maldives: Listen to the Thunder
Phosphorescent: For Willie

Recent iTunes downloads:
I've been on a huge Tom Petty kick after watching the documentary, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers: Runnin' Down A Dream. If you have 4 & 1/2 hours to spare, I highly recommend it. Anyway, I've downloaded a few Tom Petty songs: I Won't Back Down, Yer So Bad, You Don't Know How It Feels, and The Waiting.
Britney Spears: 3 (guilty as charged)
The Twilight Saga: New Moon Soundtrack
Madcon: Beggin' (download this song immediately, it is THE SHIZ!!)
Any other music I need to check out??

2 comments:

Casey-Z said...

I want that built to Spill. Also I'm glad you're drinking the Jay-Z kool aid. He's the shit. I'm thinking about adding a Z to my first name too, you know, in order to up my cool factor.

Jon Foil said...

Nice list Hilty. I'm digging Wussy, Matt&Kim and We Were Promised Jet Packs (this is a good one). We should do a music exchange. Blah!