Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Channeling my inner Ree.....

For the last few years one of my favorite blogs I follow is The Pioneer Woman.  I initially started reading her blog because of all the posts about her basset hound, Charlie -- then as time went on I started to enjoy her photography tips and cooking posts.  As some of you are aware, she now has a show on The Food Network -- so now I'm also following her on television.  One of the reasons why I like her is she has a really laid back style and cooking seems to come naturally -- something that I can not identify with.  Cooking has never been something that I've felt confident in, and I'm trying to change that.  This year I've set out to write down a number of things I'd like to accomplish, habits I'd like to break, habits I'd like to start, and new things I'd like to try.  One of the numerous things I'd like to try is cooking more at home.

Today I decided to try my hand at baking something new.  Peanut butter-filled brownie cupcakes. Mmmmmm..... it just sounded delicious.  My mom had told me about the recipe she had found in a magazine and had left the recipe at my house last time they were in town.  It seemed really easy to make, so I gathered all the ingredients together last night and made them this afternoon.  They turned out pretty good!

Last time I was at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, I picked up these silicone muffin cups -- they are reusable, how cool is that?  Unfortunately, I didn't think to wash them before I started on my baking adventure, so I had to use the paper cupcake liners last minute.  Next time though, I'll definitely be busting out the Betty Crocker silicone cups!


Anyway, the ingredient list is pretty small actually -- definitely a plus for the novice baker.  Anything to complicated and I lose interest fast.  Basically you need one box fudge brownie mix, peanut butter, cream cheese, mini semisweet chocolate morsels, eggs, sugar, and oil.  Basically the only thing I needed to go to the store for were the mini morsels.


You prepare the brownie mix according to the instructions on the box, then add 1/2 cup of the mini semisweet morsels to the mixture. 


To make the peanut butter filling you combine 3 tbsp softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter, one egg, and 1/4 cup sugar -- mix until smooth.


Then you fill the cupcake liners 1/3 full with the brownie mix.


Next you add drops of the peanut butter mixture to the cups.


Finally, you fill the remainder of the cups up with the brownie mixture.


Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  I actually had to cook mine for about 30 minutes, but that is typical for my oven, I always have to cook everything longer than the recipe calls -- I think my oven doesn't run as hot.  I should probably just cook everything about 25 degrees hotter than the recipe calls for.


Once your brownie cupcakes are done baking, you want to cool them in the pan for 10 minutes, then take them out of the pan and finish cooling them on a wire rack.  Don't they look delicious?!?  Store them in the refrigerator after they are finished cooling.


Yummmmm!!  Enjoy!!

Ree Drummond aka The Pioneer Woman is coming to Third Place Books in Bothell on Tuesday, April 24th at 6pm. I think I'm going to try and get one of her cookbooks signed. Let me know if you're interested in joining me :)

3 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

Next time, if you need a tase tester, call me. Those looks amazing. Also, 3rd place books is awesome.

Heather said...

Looks delicious! Michelle and I are planning to go see PW at 3rd Place Books too. Let's meet up!

c money said...

This shit is broken. I havent seen a post in ages.