Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Spuzz got a buzz....cut!!!

It will be three weeks tomorrow since Spuzz wiggled his way into my life, and my heart.  When I first got him he was a little timid, but let me tell you, over the last few weeks he has made himself perfectly at home!  He's a bit spoiled.....he has three new dog beds and they all happen to be in the living room.  The were all purchased separately and meant for different areas of the house, but he has dragged them all into the living room and he can be seen on any one of them throughout the day.  He has no shortage of chew toys, as he LOVES to chew and play.  With an emphasis on chew.  But if he has chew toy options he seems to leave the furniture alone.  Although I'm on a mission tomorrow to find a new clothes hamper.  He has fallen in love with chewing the wooden knobs at the bottom of the cheapy old IKEA hamper I've had since college.  I figure it is about time for a new hamper, plus I don't want his widdle mouth to get all splintered up. 

Handsome boy!!

Last Wednesday Spuzz had his first grooming adventure!!  Look!!  You can actually see his face!!  He apparently passed his first grooming with flying colors.  The lady that groomed him said he did a great job and that he was a really sweet dog.  He is a really sweet dog, I can vouche for that.  He's sweet and playful, and wiggles all over the place with excitement when I come home from work.  We are working *really* hard on getting him potty trained, and I think he's getting the swing of things.  Lots of baby talk in this house at the moment.  Lots of praise and pets and treats when he relieves himself outside, which is almost all the time now.  I've gotten on a walk / play schedule with him that has him going potty outside a couple times a day.  I had to rearrange a couple items in the house though -- I moved Frank's litter box into the kitchen (Spuzz had a few misfires on the rug that I keep under the litter box) in an effort to prevent accidents on the wood floor in the office.  Also totally took away the rug at the front door -- he seemed to like using that as his own personal pee-pee pad.  Since removing those two rug temptations, he has been really great about peeing outside.  Fingers crossed he continues to relieve himself outside!!

Such a gorgeous day at the beach!!
This past weekend was so beautiful, Spuzz and I made a trip down to the beach and the dog park at Golden Gardens.  The dog park has a "small dog" area, but at the time I went early Sunday morning, there were no small dogs in that area, but there were a bunch of small and big dogs in the main area.  I decided to go in to the main area with him and see how he reacted.  Let's just say he wanted to be a spectator that day :)  I set him down on the ground and immediately a happy big dog came over to say hi and Spuzz curled up into a little ball and wedged himself against the fence.  I think he was a bit overwhelmed with all the activity.  So I decided to pick him up and walk over to a bench where we could sit and just watch all the dogs.  I think he liked that just fine!  Maybe next time there will be some small dogs in the small dog side that we can meet.
Spuzz spectating
Spuzz loved the beach though!!  We didn't actually go on the beach, as apparently dogs aren't allowed on public beaches in Seattle, but we did walk around the non-beach area of Golden Gardens.  We found another bench to serve as our home base for people and animal watching.  Lots of other dogs, and a few geese.  We could also hear the sea lions barking which was pretty cool.  They were hanging out on a huge buoy a bit off shore.  Spuzz was pretty interested in the sea lion noise.  After our dog park / Golden Gardens adventure we went home and he took a well-deserved nap.  One tuckered out lil' dog!! 

Here are a couple other shots I took while at the park:


As you can tell, I'm still enjoying the ShakeIt app, but recently I have branched out with Instagram which is a new favorite!
  

2 comments:

Gina Lillie said...

I can actually see his sweet eyes. What a handsome boy. Can't wait for a Spuzz/Gina playdate.

Matt, Colleen, McKenzie and Ben said...

Good call on removing the back door mat - I know first hand what that can lead to!

If you're up for an adventure check out the dog park in Edmonds down by the ferry - they let dogs on the beach there - so much fun!