Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What the frack have I been up to?!?!?

It seems the frequency of these posts are stretching farther and farther apart.  My apologies, but that is just the way it might be for awhile.  Why?  I'm a little preoccupied with a boy.  Don't get too excited, I'm talking about Frank.  My little boy Frank is wasting away to nothing, and I'm trying my hardest to keep him from blowing away.  I'm trying to stay positive, but it is difficult when he continues to eat like Kobayashi, but still looks like Kate Moss.  Luckily, Frank has a great veterinarian.  But when I heard him say "desperate times call for desperate measures", I knew things could be better.

 

Frank started taking a drug called Leukeran last week.  It is a chemotherapy agent used in the treatment of a couple possible things that could be going on with Frank..... intestinal lymphoma or inflammatory bowel disease.  I could put him through more testing to figure it out for sure, but it would require surgery, and I don't want to put him through that, he's an old man and doesn't need to be going under anesthesia at this point.  The gist of it is this, he's eating like a champ but not putting on any weight.  In fact, he's losing weight.  He weighed 7.5 pounds in September, and he now weighs 7.1 pounds.  Poor kid.  So he's back on prednisone twice daily, and leukeran every other day for the next week or so.  Hopefully he'll start to put on some weight, or at least maintain weight.  He goes in to the vet next week to get some bloodwork done to check his red and white blood cell counts.  No one wants a neutropenic or anemic kitty.  Especially me. 

So say a little prayer to the god of your choosing for my Frankie.  He needs it right now.       

1 comment:

Gina Lillie said...

Poor Frizz. Do they make Kitty Ensure?