Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit

My dad gave me this ring when I graduated from pharmacy school in 2005. It once belonged to my great uncle Jeff, who was also a pharmacist. I wish I would have known Jeff, but he passed away long before I was a twinkle in my mother's eye. The ring has the symbol of the Scottish Rite Masonry on it, and on the inside his name is engraved, with the phrase "Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit".
"Virtus Junxit Mors Non Separabit" is Latin for "Whom Virtue Unites, Death Shall Not Separate". Apparently my great uncle Jeff was a Mason. The ring is too large for any of my fingers, but I've been thinking of getting a cord for it to hang around my neck.
I don't know much about Jeff, other than he was a pharmacist, he travelled a fair bit, and according to my uncle Tom, liked to get drunk and wear women's clothing. Apparently he was found passed out, in a dress, in a ditch one time. Haven't we all been there? I guess Jeff was on the ground floor of liberal thinking in a small town :) I'm sure we would have gotten along swimmingly.

6 comments:

Kaijsa said...

Could it be sized down without ruining the engraving? Cuz that ring would be pretty sweet on your fist of fury.

Anonymous said...

Jess,

I realize this post is a year old; but I thought I'd leave a comment anyway.

This ring is the only official ring of the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry. It's a 14° ring, that is given to Scottish Rite Masons once they have received the 14°. It's a fair assumption that your Great Uncle Jeff was a 32° Mason.

You are very fortunate to have received this ring. It should be a treasured family heirloom. I must give one bit of advice and caution, though. It's traditional for a Mason to leave his 14° ring to a family member, or a very close friend; but that individual should never wear that ring unless and until they, themselves, have received the 14°. It would be considered uncouth (to put it mildly) for you to wear it. I call tell you with certainty that your Great Uncle would agree. So I would encourage you to treasure it always, and pass it down some day, when the time comes; but never to wear it.

M.T., 32°, AASR, SJ

jess said...

Thank you, M.T. for your comment, I very much appreciate you letting me know this information about my Great Uncle Jeff's ring. I never did wear it, and I am glad that I did not after reading your comment. I will cherish this ring even more now that I know how special it is. Again, many thanks!

Anonymous said...

Jess...I totally agree with M.T.
I recently found my fathers ring at 58 years old. I entered the sands early and participated in our decorum for years. I can't pass this ring down to my son until he realizes he importance of the symbol itself. when he does, he shall have it. If I pass he shall find it! hopefully he will research the importance behind the symbol.
for you...

Unknown said...

Jess,
Almost a decade has passed since you first posted the information I just found today. I'm writing because I have my Grandfathers ring exactly as yours is and the fact you use Seattle in your byline which is my city of birth. I was wondering what you may have learned about the masons since your post and if you might direct me to where I too can learn about my grandfathers organization.

Anonymous said...

To Unknown,
The answers you're looking for can't be found or told online. If you truly want to know the answers the only way is to reach out to a local Masonic Temple. The brothers will be will to help you. Depending on record keeping you may be able to find the lodge he belonged too. This my lead you on a new journey in life that you didn't expect.

2BE1ASK1